[lit-ideas] Re: 4th of July

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 19:06:16 -0700

David Ritchie wrote, after I said that a 500-year-old Sequoia tree helped block my view of the spectacle on the lake shore

What an odd place for such an old Sequoia to be. I had thought we are north of their natural range and wikipedia seems to confirm this, "The northern boundary of its range is marked by two groves on the Chetco River on the western fringe of the Klamath Mountains, 25 km (15 miles) north of the California-Oregon border."

[s. David] who planted a sequoia in his own backyard in
Portland, Oregon.

My locating such an ancient tree near us was pure hyperbole. There may be some old growth trees still standing around here, but none of them would be a Sequoia. There's a Sequoiadendron giganteum on the Reed campus, but it's an import.

Robert Paul