[lit-ideas] Re: 21. century European anti-Semitism

  • From: Erin Holder <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:40:09 -0400

I would say that pretty boys are definately abused by the other kids at school,
but maybe that's just me, and pretty girls are, more often than not, just flat
out harassed, risk being ostracized if they don't put out, are subjected to an
over abundance of degrading remarks, even when crossing the street, moreover,
find themselves lumped in with backbiting cliques that really don't care one
whit about them.  Perhaps that wasn't your point, but still, I don't know what
school you were lucky enough to go to, where everyone didn't get their just
deserts,

Erin
Toronto

Quoting BOROWIK  LUCIENE <luborowik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> "One side of the equation is pious -- keep the faith, preserve the
> culture -- and the other side is violent and destructive -- destroy the
> outsider, homogenize the culture -- but isn't it the same feature of human
> thinking with regard to group identity?"
>
>  The violent side of the question is more about hating whoever is different
> from whatever people expect.
>
> Why aren't pretty girls and boys usually abused by the other kids at
> school?
> Why is it usually the girls and boys who are *different* that are
> constantly
> attacked by their schoolmates?
>
> The hostility shows up early in life and goes on through the adult life.
> When humans reach adult life, the same hostility finds beautiful labels
> like
> defending the faith, fighting for freedom, etc.
>
> Luciene Borowik

Erin