[lit-ideas] Re: 21. century European anti-Semitism

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:32:36 -0400

Steve Cameron claims that we disagree because he suggests that instances
where Christians have used the sword "with somewhat significant
consequences to those who weren't Christians" count in considering
whether the Church's change of position on the sword was a good or bad
thing.  The matter is not one of disagreement or agreement but one of
relevance.  To argue as Steve does is not unlike arguing that the
'somewhat significant consequences' to those who lived in Dresden has
some bearing on the question of the State and the legitimacy of its
waging war.  Steve is not disagreeing with me but engaging in a
non-sequitor.  There is the issue of whether the use of the sword has a
place in the life of the Church and then there is the issue of how
Christians have used the sword in particular cases.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON