[lit-ideas] Re: 21. century European anti-Semitism

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:33:02 -0700 (PDT)

--- Scribe1865@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Omar writes: "The World War
> II was started by the then relatively recent
> nation-states of Germany, Italy, and Japan. These
> days, both the Israelis and the Palestinians are
> relatively new nations which by no means take their
> group identities for granted. (The Israelis having
> been scattered all over the world until recently,
> and
> the Palestinians currently being so.) This is very
> simplistic but, I submit,
> less so than the above."
>
> Omar's on to something here, despite his attempt to
> be insulting. Who started
> WW2 is beside the point. However, new cultures do
> have more at stake in their
> defense than settled ones.

I wasn't really trying to be insulting on this
occasion- maybe another time when I am more disposed.
Here, I was just trying to cover my ass from
criticisms for what is obviously a sweepingly
simplistic account.

Yes, newly formed communities do tend to have more at
stake at self-defense. And families in tribal
societies had significant functions of physical
protection.

O.K.

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash