[lit-ideas] Re: 1968

  • From: "Steve Chilson" <stevechilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 04:07:54 +0000

Not to get off the subject too far but I was wondering about Crane,
isn't he the American poet who threw himself off a ship to die?  I was
wondering if he left any thoughts behind about dying other than his
poetry.  I'm also thinking about that song by Mercedes Sosa about the
poet Alfonsina who drown herself in the sea by walking into it.  I tried
that this July in Greece, nice warm water but well, walking into the sea
for good and I was well disappointed.  Dramatic suicide is rubbish.
Drowning yourself is no picnic.  Once many years ago I tried hanging and
found it too painful yet I was willing - the pipe I was hanging from
burst and I took it as a message and so got married instead.  Guns,
that's what we need.

But back to that Hart Crane question, did he just go?

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 18:43:09 -0000, "Judith Evans"
<judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> The median income's not that different (but the differential
> varies by occupation) it becomes
> substantial when the cost of consumer goods is taken into
> account.
>
> (They say.)
>
> It's my impression housing's cheaper there than here.
>
> Judy Evans, Cardiff

  Steve Chilson
  stevechilson@xxxxxxxxxxx

                          or over the web