[lit-ideas] Re: 12 year old Macallan

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 18:00:17 -0230

Ah yes, the Transcendental allures of Speyside. Six years before the death of
George Hegel, this distillery decided to stop making "moonshine" and gain legal
status. The rest is history. It remains one of the best known producers of
single malt and contributors to blends - apologies to the purists amongst us
whose sentiments I may have offended by the utterance of that word.

Now, as to the 12 year old mentioned by Ursula. Let us consult the Torah of
Whiskies: It thus spakes:

Colour: Amber
Nose: Sherry, honey, flowery notes
Body: Full, smooth
Palate: The first hints of flowering currant. Al;together more expressive.
Finish: Satisfying, malty, gingery, becoming dry with a hint of smoke.

And you thought matters of taste were personal. (Frege look out!)

Of course, had your husband's student learned to write like a Tolstoy or
Turgenev, she would have expressed her everlasting appreciation by gifting him
with the *30 year old* Macallan. This is to die for .... and talk about orange
zest!

Walter O.
Tier One, Research Chair
Department of Ardbeggeddonian Ardbeg