Linuxtrent: Re: Kernel

  • From: Matteo Ianeselli <ianezz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linuxtrent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:20:08 +0200

Flavio Stanchina, aggrappandosi alla tastiera per non cadere, ha scritto:

 > On Wednesday 10 October 2001 10:12, Vivaldi Mirco wrote:
 > > Cavolo ieri e'uscito il 2.4.10 oggi il 2.4.11...
 >
 > Intendevi 2.4.11 e 2.4.12, immagino?
 >
 > Evidentemente nel 2.4.11 c'era qualche errore grande,

Yes, problema sulla gestione dei link simbolici orfani.

2.4.11 had a fix for a symlink DoS attack, but sadly that fix broke
the creation of files through a dangling symlink rather badly (it
caused the inode to be created in the very same inode as the symlink,
with unhappy end results).

Happily nobody uses that particular horror - or _almost_ nobody
does. It looks like at least the SuSE installer (yast2) does, which
causes a nasty unkillable inode as /dev/mouse if you use yast2 on
2.4.11.

("debugfs -w rootdev" + "rm /dev/mouse" will remove it, although I
suspect there are other less drastic methods too if your fsck doesn't
seem to notice anything wrong with it. Only one report of this
actually happening so far).

So I made a 2.4.12, and renamed away the sorry excuse for a kernel
that 2.4.11 was.

                Linus

UNIX diapers by Pannolini USPTO 2039887  http://www.uspto.gov
Matteo Ianeselli      ianezz AT sodalia.it  (+39) 0461 316452
Visita il LinuxTrent:            http://www.linuxtrent.it
--
PROSSIMA ASSEMBLEA: venerdi` 19 ottobre 2001 20:30 a Madrano di Pergine.