[Linuxtrent] Fwd: [flug] Fwd: Re: MS SQL WORM IS DESTROYING INTERNET BLOCK PORT 1434!

  • From: Mattia Merzi <merzi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linuxtrent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:35:04 +0100

----------  Messaggio inoltrato  ----------

Subject: Re: MS SQL WORM IS DESTROYING INTERNET BLOCK PORT 1434!
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 10:59:49 +1100
From: Charles Miller <cmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Bugtraq <bugtraq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Jason Coombs propagated the following meme:
> As of now we don't know who wrote the worm, but we do know that it
> looks like a concept worm with no malicious payload. There is a
> good argument to be made in favor of such worms.

There are many arguments against them, too.

1) They have the potential to seriously disrupt delivery of important
   services.

2) It takes one bug in the worm to turn it from "mostly harmless"
 into "crippling", and nobody has a spare Internet to test a worm on
 before releasing it.

3) They cause enormous problems even for those who are not directly
   to blame. Consider a co-location. You can keep your own systems
   up to date, but that's really no consolation if some idiot in the
   same facility hasn't patched their SQL Server boxen, and they melt
   the router.

4) They feed a cycle of short, sensationalist incidents that target a
   single vulnerability, and then fade into the background.

5) It feeds the myth that it is "good enough" to be reactive when it
   comes to security.

6) It has no appreciable long-term benefit. Last year, it was Code
 Red and Nimda. Everyone patched their IIS servers. There was the
 Apache mod_ssl worm (to a lesser extent) that reminded everyone to
 patch their Apache servers. This year, there's Sapphire, and
 everyone patches their SQL Server boxes. Next vulnerability, next
 worm, even if it's in IIS, Apache or SQL Server again, will catch
 the _same_ people, _again_.

The solution isn't defensive worms. The solution lies in the
 recognition (seldom expressed, lest we later regret it ourselves),
 that the failure to patch a seven-month bug is NEGLIGENCE, the
 failure to firewall non- essential open ports on network servers is
 NEGLIGENCE. In other matters, the failure to implement egress
 filtering is negligence. We could probably come up with a pretty
 good baseline of what is obvious systems administration negligence
 when it comes to security.

Few worms exploit vulnerabilities that are new and unknown. Most
 exploit those that have been known for months. That it is cheaper
 for negligent administrators to wait until the worm hits, suffer a
 day of disruption and then fix the problem du jour is simply
 unacceptable. The only solution, however, is to somehow make it more
 expensive to be negligent than it is to be diligent.

This is difficult. Tort law really isn't very good at handling cases
 where a lot of people each do small amounts of damage to a lot of
 other people. Even though the aggregate effect is significant, you
 can't really put your finger quite firmly enough on who did what to
 whom. And since the Internet is decentralised, you can't be slapped
 down by some authority in charge of keeping the 'net healthy.

There's always the doomsday scenario. Maybe if this worm had caused
 major data-loss, there _would_ be some lasting effect? Or maybe the
 admins would have just restored from backup. Who knows?

Charles Miller

--
"Bill Gates reports on security progress made and the challenges
 ahead." -- Microsoft's Homepage, on the day an SQL Server bug