[Linux-Discussion] Re: versions of RH

  • From: Paul Dickson <dickson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:46:51 -0700

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:23:41 -0500, S. Arif Khalid wrote:

> Yes, I now realize that it must be a hardware issue.  It even froze when I
> booted from a Western Digital hard drive utility disk.
>
> Thus, I'll go with 8.0 over 7.3.  Does anyone recommend moving to 9.0?

Each generation will provide better hardware support.

The only cavet concerning RH9 is that when you download threaded
applications, be sure to get versions created for RH9.  Java VM and Wine
will have problems unless you download RH9 version.  Just about everything
else can be a RH8 version (eg Mozilla).

RH9 and its Linux kernel are using the threading model used by 2.6 Linux
kernels.  This will lock you to RH versions of the 2.4 kernel or the
latest 2.6 testing kernels.  If you build your own kernels, 2.6.0-test3 is
better the 2.4 kernels, at least for me.

        -Paul