[Linux-Discussion] Re: upgrading slackware

  • From: "John Madden" <jmadden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:36:33 -0500 (EST)

> Ok, I have a question that probably plagues all of us, ugrading
> Slackware. I'm currently running Slackware 7.1 and I'm toying with the
> idea of upgrading to Slackware 8.0.  I've read how to do it off of the
> Slack install CD, but I'm a little leary about doing it for fear of
> losing all my data.

Is /home on a separate partition or disk?  If so, no "data" will be lost
unless you tell it to format that partition during the install.  If it
isn't, that still shouldn't be a problem, just be sure to not format the
partition you're installing to.

> Another thing that I'm curious about is my installed software.  The
> programs that I built from source, will they remain intact if I
> upgrade?

Yes, provided no formatting happens and that the installer doesn't install
slack 8's own versions of the software.  The only thing you really have to
worry about is the new libraries that get installed on top of the old ones,
if that indeed happens.  But generally, the libraries are
backward-compatible, so you don't have to worry about it (ie, glibc 2.1
binaries run fine under glibc 2.2).

Either way, I'd backup anything you can't easily re-compile before doing the
install anyway.

> Have any of you done this yet??  Any suggestions on what I should do??
> My main reason to upgrade is that the new packages being put out on
> linuxmafia.org are primarily being built on the Slack 8.0 layout.

I run them all on slackware 7.0 on my home box and the 7.1 machines at work
anyway...

John

--
John Madden