[Linux-Discussion] Re: setting up Linux

  • From: "S. Arif Khalid" <arif@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 03:16:28 -0500

Re: My Question #1 (SOLVED): Putting libXm.so.2 on system

Via google I found that libXm.so.2 is part of OpenMotif which is on the Red
Hat 8.0 installation CD #1.  However, OpenMotif is not listed as an
available package in the Package Manager.  Thus, even selecting every
individual package for install did not put libXm.so.2 on the system.  During
the *system* install there was an additional checkbox to select "all"
packages which includes many packages not listed under the various
application categories -- and this did put libXm.so.2 on the system.
Anyway, once I found the OpenMotif rpm file, I just double-clicked on it and
the libXm.so.2 got added to the system.

Re: My Question #2: Why are some Windows partition directories and files not
writable?

(skip)

Re: My Question #3 (SOLVED): How to setup CD-RW drive for xcdroast

You were right about /dev/cdrom and /dev/cdrom1 just being symbolic links.
Indeed /dev/cdrom1 was already linked to /dev/scd0, so my "change" to fstab
did nothing.  /dev/cdrom is linked to /dev/hdd.

Re: My Question #4: How to make the CD-ROM drive listed in xcdroast

To get the CD-ROM to be listed within xcdroast as an eligible source drive,
you suggested "cdrecord -scanbus".  Here's the output:

Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 J?rg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
scsibus0:
    0,0,0    0) 'CyberDrv' 'CW038D CD-R/RW ' '120C' Removable CD-ROM
    0,1,0    1) *
    0,2,0    2) *
    0,3,0    3) *
    0,4,0    4) *
    0,5,0    5) *
    0,6,0    6) *
    0,7,0    7) *

So the CD-ROM does not show up.  Is this bad?

Re: My Question #5: How to use UDF CDs with the CD-RW drive

I did "modprobe udf ".  Now what?  Nothing happened.  Is this supposed to
let me insert a UDF formatted CD into the RW drive and use it like a regular
disk or floppy?  When I insert a UDF CD into the drive with the system
declared in fstab as "iso9660", it doesn't show the contents.  Instead it
shows a file called autorun.inf and udfrinst.exe which are used by Windows
PCs to make the contents readable.  If the filesystem in fstab is specified
as "auto" instead of "iso9660" I can see the contents of the UDF CD.  But
there are the following problems:

a.  The CD does not automount.  I must mount it manually.  Minor nuisance.
b.  The CD is read-only.  In fact, when I mount it I get the following
message:
mount: block device /dev/cdrom1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
Note: This happens whether the fstab line has the "ro" specification or not.

So, the question remains whether we can take full advantage of the UDF
filesystem for CD's in Linux.  Even if we found that we could use the CD
like a hard disk or floppy, how do you format a CD as UDF in the first
place?

Re: My Question #6: How to make the USB flashdrive automount

I'll hold off.  Setting up an "automount daemon" sounds a bit over my head
at this point.

Re: Question #7 (SOLVED): How to change screen resolution

Thanks for the <Ctrl>-<Alt> +/- tip.  It's cool.

Arif