[Linux-Discussion] Re: printer notes

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 11:11:50 -0500

> Under driver selection, the only option was "gimp-print" for this
> printer.  I noticed that HP injet printers have a lot more driver
> options.  What does "gimp-print" mean?  I also have a Xerox Docuprint P8
> for which I could use either "gimp-print" or "ljet4".  I'll probably try
> the latter for the Xerox printer and see if it does a better job.

See freshmeat.net - gimp-print is a collection of printer drivers,
apparently developed by the gimp people?

"Gimp-Print is a collection of very high quality printer drivers for
UNIX/Linux. The goal of this project is uncompromising print quality and
robustness. Included with this package is the Print plugin for the GIMP
(hence the name), a CUPS driver, and two drivers (traditional and
IJS-based) for Ghostscript that may be compiled into that package. This
driver package is Foomatic-compatible and provides Foomatic data to enable
plug and play with many print spoolers. In addition, various printer
maintenance utilities are included. Many users report that the quality of
Gimp-Print on high end Epson Stylus printers matches or exceeds the
quality of the drivers supplied for Windows and Macintosh. "

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA
# Linux, Apache, Perl and C: All the best things in life are free!