[Linux-Discussion] Re: help: multi-boot

  • From: "Brian L. Johnson" <blj8@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:49:28 -0600 (MDT)

On Jun 12, James Gosnell threw electrons at linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:

>I have linux and lilo on hda and Windows on hdb. As of right now, I have
>to switch between ide cables if I need to boot to windows. Is there any
>way in lilo that I can have it boot up windows on hdb? Thanks

Well, Linux can easily boot from hdb, so why not switch the cables and
keep them that way? The only files in Linux you would have to change are
/etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf (and re-run lilo).

What you can do is get a Linux bootdisk, such as Tomsrtbt
(http://toms.net/rb), and after you switch the IDE cables, boot the
system with the toms disk, mount the partition containing /etc and vi
the aforementioned files.

Then, cd to the base mount point of your Linux system, and run this:
chroot ./ /bin/bash
This will put you in a chroot environment in your system, and you can
run /sbin/lilo (note that since you are in a chroot environment, it is
/sbin/lilo, not /mnt/sbin/lilo).

Then press ctrl+d to exit the chroot, cd to /, umount the partitions,
and reboot without the toms disk and you should be now booting your
Linux system on hdb, and you will not have to switch any cables to
multi-boot.

  -=Brian L. Johnson,  www.blj8.com=-
     Total Bookmarks in file= 8643