[Linux-Discussion] hard drive

  • From: "R.A." <bobbya@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 08:55:50 -0700

I have a 2nd drive installed, unused, that I'd like to clean.

Does anyone know how to format a hard drive under Linux? Are there a set
of commands to execute?

I try to read the drive's partitions, "hdb1 and hdb2", but when mounting
"mount -t vfat /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdbnumber1"
"mount -t msdos /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdbnumber1"
"mount -t vfat -w /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdbnumber1"

I get a message "wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb1,
or too many mounted file systems" I'd tire of this message.

Anyway, I hope the drive is damaged. Maybe I should just use a windows
program to format it, but I hope it is damaged.

either way,
thanks
Robert