[Linux-Discussion] Re: g++ question

  • From: Paul <landerso@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:05:27 -0400

James Gosnell wrote:

> It's now 3k. :) I never knew of that utility. Thanks! I still would like
> to know what's up with mt compile. Aren't progs supposed to be perfect
> when they're done. :)

strip removes the symbol names.  Since compiled C programs use a direct
jmp to the location, they don't need the symbol tables.  However, NEVER
NEVER NEVER strip a shared library!  The symbols are the only way that
it can find the appropriate function in the library.

strip /lib/libc.so

Is a good way to seriously damage a system.  If you want to see it in
action, mod_perl in Debian unstable.  Brainiac stripped mod_perl.so,
rendering it fundamentally useless.  You have no idea how hard it is to
compile mod_perl without the apache source:)