[Linux-Discussion] Re: configuring network adapters

  • From: "Khalid, S. Arif" <arif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 16:32:39 -0500

On my SuSE 10.0 system, when I insert a USB flashdrive it mounts
automatically.  However, before I modifed fstab, only root could unmount the
drive.  I figured out how to modify fstab by looking at the last line of
mtab when the drive was mounted.  That line is:
/dev/sdb1 /media/usbdisk subfs rw,nosuid,nodev,sync,fs
=floppyfss,procuid,utf8=true 0 0
Thus, I added the following line to fstab:
/dev/sdb1 /media/usbdisk subfs noauto,fs=floppyfs,rw,users,sync,utf8=true 0
0

Now, any user can unmout the USB drive.  I was pretty proud of myself.

HERE COMES THE PROBLEM:

I have another USB flashdrive that gets mounted as a /media/PUBLIC rather
than /media/usbdisk.  (I think the FAT volume label of the drive is
"PUBLIC".)  Since this doesn't match new new line in fstab, only root can
unmount this drive.

Can I set things up so that an ordinary user can unmount a USB flashdrive no
matter what "mount as" directory name it has?

QUESTION 2:

Does anyone know how to set the mouse pointer focus policy in KDE so that a
window becomes active just by moving the cursor over it?  I don't want to
have to click in the window to type in it.

Arif
S. Arif Khalid, Ph.D.
arif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
513-227-3526 (Mobile)