[Linux-Discussion] Re: compatible hardware

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 21:38:36 -0500

> I checked everything you said regarding the nvidia driver.  Everything
> is as you said it should be.  Still I don't know how to set the
> resolution of the screen any higher than 1280x1024 with 16-bit color.
> I'm wondering if I should upgrade to SuSE 8.0 or try a different video
> card.

I forget - have you tried forcing the configuration to a higher resolution?
Or is that the problem, just not knowing where to make those changes?

> Does this mean I need to add the apm module to the kernel?  How do you
> do this?

It means that you'll need to compile it, but I'd be pretty surprised if
SuSe didn't include one on the cd.  If you chose a non-laptop install,
they probably didn't bother including the module.  Most people don't power
their linux boxen off anyway. :)

If you need to compile it, follow these instructions:

become root
"cd /usr/src/linux"
"make menuconfig"
Go to General Setup and choose APM support as a module by pressing 'm'.
exit, exit, save changes
"make modules"
"make modules_install"
"modprobe apm"

To get the module loaded at boot, you'll have to do something extra,
although I'm not sure what for a suse-style system.

John