[Linux-Discussion] Re: compatible hardware

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 07:01:30 -0500

> Modeline "1600x1200" ...
> My problem is that I don't know what comes after the resolution.  The
> other lines have a bunch of numbers and I have not been able to figure
> out what they
> stand for.

They've got to do with the refresh rates and whatnot; I have no idea how to
calculate them either.  Use Xconfigurator or whatever your distro comes
with.

> I also wonder if I can just change the Depth 16 to a Depth
> 24.

That's your color depth.

> Does APM stand for Advanced Power Management?  If so, does this mean
> that I my system ought to power off when I do a shutdown from the login
> screen?

Yes.  Provided those are the options actually in your running kernel.

> make dep (there was a message that said that "make dep" is required)

Did you do it? :)

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA
# Linux, Apache, Perl and C: All the best things in life are free!