[Linux-Discussion] Re: clearing linux loader or GRUB from MBR

  • From: "S. Arif Khalid" <arif@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 01:48:43 -0500

Thanks for the info and links.  From the
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/grub.html link I found a document
that looks like a close match to what I'm trying to do:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Multiboot-with-GRUB.html

However, what it covers is more complex than what I want and I lack the
basic terminology to reduce it to my case (e.g., I don't know what
"extended" or "Hidden" means).  Anyway, I just want to be able to divide up
Win2k and Linux (RH 7.3) on my PC, be able to boot either one, and be able
to access my Win2k files from Linux (I know better than to ask to access
Linux files from Windows).

Before resorting to the HOWTO, I tried to let Red Hat installer do the
work...

1.  Starting with a 40 GB unpartitioned disk, I used FDISK.EXE from a Win98
boot diskette to create a single 20 MB primary DOS partition (yes, I did
FDISK /MBR to get rid of the old GRUB -- thanks for that tip).
2.  Rebooted with the Win98 boot diskette then formatted that partition
using FORMAT C:
3.  Installed Win2k on C:
4.  Booted from RH 7.3 CD #1 and chose the option to leave alone existing
partitions and use remaining free space.  I also left all the defaults
(i.e., GRUB onto the MBR with Linux as the default OS).

Just before installation was done, I got an error screen with a traceback in
it and a message saying that this was probably an anaconda bug.

So, based on http://tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Multiboot-with-GRUB.html , I started
to do my best at following the directions:

1.  Started with the 40 GB hard disk(Linux installed aready, but will be
wiped out)
2.  From RH 7.3 installation, chose "Partition with FDISK (experts only)"
option
3.  Created the following partion table:

Device           Start     End       Blocks             Id          System

/tmp/hda1          1          6          48163+         16          Hidden
FAT16        (for Win2k boot)
/tmp/hda2          7       2370       18988830          c          Win95 FAT
(LBA)     (for Win2k)
/tmp/hda3       2371       4735       18996862+         83          Linux
/tmp/hda4       4736       4856        1044225          82          Linux
swap

After finishing FDISK, the RH installation program said my partitioning was
as follows:

Device          Start       End         Size (MB)        Type          Mount
Point         Format

/dev/hda
-/dev/hda1          1          6             47         ext3
No
-/dev/hda2          7       2370       18544       ext3
No
-/dev/hda3       2371       4735      18552        Linux native
-/dev/hda4       4736       4856       1020         swap
Yes

I don't know what type "ext3" but I thought it meant Linux not FAT like I
specified with FDISK.  Also, I don't know if mount point names are
arbitrary.  I was going to give partition 1 the name "/winboot", partition 2
"/win_c", partition 3 "/", and I don't know what I would do for partition 4.

Anyway, the Red Hat installer allows you to "Edit" each partition so you can
change the type and specify that it be formatted.  The only FAT-like type
that was available to select was "vfat".  Is this okay?  When I tried to
edit partition 2 I got the following message:

The size fo the vfat partition (size = 18543.7792969 MB) exceeds the maximum
size fo 2048 MB.

Thus, it would not let me do this.

As you can see, I'm lost.  Can someone provide me with idiot-proof
directions?

Another question:  When I installed Red Hat 7.3 the first time, there was an
icon in the Red Hat control panel that allowed me to specify and activate
the modem.  I think it was a Network Wizard or something.  However, the last
time I installed Red Hat, I could not find this icon.  I have an external
Creative Labs Modem Blaster and I had it working great the first time.  Any
idea how I can get that icon back or what the program that it invoked was
called?

Oh, and one more thing.  I'm a bit miffed that I recently bought RH 7.3 and
they came out with 8.0 (which was about $20 cheaper, too).  I don't have
fast connection so the simplest thing for me to do is to buy the package.
Is there a strong reason for me to get 8.0?

Thanks for all the help.

Arif