[Linux-Discussion] Re: apache and frontpage?

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 21:03:08 -0500

> I would remind them that _I_ am the sysadmin, and that the concerns of
> an inisgnificant user are not worthy of your attention.  I would explain
> that I had to go setup BGP4, then I would hit them with a clue stick and
> run off cackling into the night.

=) I value my job too highly, I guess.

I think the real threat here is that if I can't get it to work, they'll
just setup a win2k machine to do it instead.

> It's worthwhile explaining to them that frontpage extensions are so
> archaic and backwards that most web-browsers don't even support them.
> In addition to increasing server load to the point that you would have
> to charge extra to be able to support them.  Since there is such a small
> number of customers who desire this archane and limited functionality,
> it is not possible to justify the resources necessary without charging
> more.

Well, this is an educational thing.  It's political: the college *teaches*
web devel in FP, so we're expected to show support for it.

Anyway, I guess I should report that I did finally get it to work, but
only by a) not using MS's compiled binary (duh), b) not using that
pre-built slack pack that comes with FP in it (compiling it myself, in
other words) and c) not using MS's installation script.  I found
instructions on somebody's webpage that actually worked quite well.

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA