[Linux-Discussion] almost there with 2-CPU system

  • From: "S. Arif Khalid" <arif@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 03:56:01 -0500

Thanks to a lot of you folks I'm getting close to properly configuring my
dual-athalon system.

I gave up on using SuSE 7.3.  I bought Red Hat 7.3 Personal (not Professional)
for $60 and it perfectly configured BOTH my nVidia graphics card and KDS XF-9e
monitor.  Now I get 1600x1200 resolution with 24-bit color.  I did not download
any drivers from nVidia.  Xconfigurator says it's using "nv".

The video setup was the only thing that the RH 7.3 did better than SuSE 7.3.

Under SuSE's YaST2 configuration program it was easier to set up the modem and
ethernet card.  Also, the DVD and CDRW were at least recognized for what they
were.  They were mounted as /media/dvd and /media/cdrecorder.  The DVD actually
read DVDs, but I did not get the recorder to work.  SuSE put icons for the DVD
and CD-R/RW on my KDE desktop.

Problem: Both CD Drives are only being treated as CD-ROM drives.  The control
panel Hardware Probe identifies them as SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-612 and CyberDrv
CW038D R/RW and they are mounted as /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom1, respectively.

1.  How do I get the DVD-ROM and CD-RW drives working properly?  I want to be
able to use UDF CDs with the CD-RW drive.

2.  How can I dialup my modem without having to enter root password?
Currently, I have to enter root password whenever I start kppp.

3.  Can either Netscape Communicator or Konquerer save the images along with
the HTML document when you select "Save As"?  I like what Internet Explorer
does under Windows:  It saves all the images in a directory called name_files
where "name" is the filename you select to save as.

4.  I think my system must not have APM in the BIOS.  It still doesn't power
off when I select shutdown.  However, it did power off when I was running
Windows.  Is there some other power management I should be using with Linux to
enable power off?

Thanks,

Arif