[Linux-Discussion] Which is the best distro for a really old PC?

  • From: "Aleksandar Tasev" <alektas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 04:05:37 +0200

 Hi, everybody!
Its my first post and I have an interesting question........ Which is the
best distro for a really old PC? I have an old PC with Pentium 133MHz, 32 MB
RAM, 2GB hard drive, and it is running windoze 95.  The system is extremely
slow and unstable, so I decided to install Linux on this ancient box.
I suppose the distro will have to be very slim and fast on old hardware, but
at the same time it should offer most modern apps for internet(browsing,
chat, mail) and some office work.   I'm not a Linux guru, so I'd like a
distro that is easy to set up(like mandrake od redhat, but without the
bloat). Also, dowload size is an issue, since I will use an ISDN 64 kbps
line.
I can't make up my mind from the exotic distros I saw on distrowatch(arch,
vector, bonzai,....).

Please help with suggestions. Alek.

Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. [1]Get 2 months FREE*.

--- Links ---
   1 http://g.msn.com/8HMEEN/2749??PS=