[Linux-Discussion] Re: Updating a RedHat 6.1 box quickly

  • From: Lynn Anderson <landerso@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 19:16:45 -0400

Bruno Van de Casteele wrote:

> are you sure? X can be run remotely too. I did it for a time on a
> machine. It was off course in my own network, but when it works over 2 m
> of cable, it will also for a box at the other end of the world.

Two things, firstly X isn't the most secure thing in the world(use xhost
+ and you're DEAD MEAT!), secondly X is a MASSIVE BANDWIDTH HOG.  It'll
peg a network that's 10Mbit/s straight through.  In theory, yes, it will
work for a machine that's on a different network, but for it to be
practical you need to use one of the X protocol compressors.  Finally,
in my experience as a professional sysadmin, X has no business
whatsoever being installed on a server.  Servers should NEVER have GUIs
installed.  They hog resources and decrease system stability.  That's
one of the reasons why Windows NT is such a pig.

--

"I am a riddle, wrapped in an enigma, wrapped in a question, wrapped in
a chewy caramel coating."