[Linux-Discussion] TrueType problem - very odd

  • From: "John Madden" <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 16:31:49 -0500 (EST)

I can't remember having such difficulties getting truetype fonts to
display under X, but with my new Debian 3.0 (dist-upgraded to sarge)
install, I just can't get it to work.  I've followed the HOWTO's and
numerous other guides to no avail.  After days of trying different things
and restarting X probably 100 times, I'm just about ready to give up and

So here's the deal: I've got the typical set of anti-aliased fonts
installed and I've tried loading them through X's FontPath directive,
through Xftconfig, through ~/.xftconfig, manually with xset fp, I've tried
using both font servers (xfs and xfstt)... The fonts are displayed, just
not anti-aliased.

What's even more odd is that within KDE's Font Installer, any anti-aliased
font is displayed correctly - full anti-aliasing and all - in the font
preview box.  No other applications seem to be able to access this
anti-aliased goodness though.

So what gives?  What's so different about my installation that prevents
fonts from being displayed correctly?

Thanks,
  John

--
# John Madden -  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
# MailandFiles.com - Premium E-Mail and Files