[Linux-Discussion] Tip: syslogd

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:40:13 -0500

Just a quick tip for anyone sending a lot of email or something: I noticed
on avenir.dhs.org (the box that runs FreeLists, of course) that syslogd
would soak up a lot more cpu than even postfix, which does all the mail
processing and sending (the MTA).

I started asking around on the postfix-users mailing list for tips on how
to prevent postfix from sending so much log data to syslogd, but instead I
got answers on how to improve syslogd. :)

Basically, the problem is that syslogd will write to syslog and messages
(filenames differ depending on your distribution) constantly (by default),
which can cause some I/O issues if there's a lot going on on your disk(s),
especially if you use IDE.

The trick is to edit /etc/syslog.conf and put a '-' dash in front of the
filenames that are being written to.  So for example, you may now have

*.=info;*.=notice                               -/usr/adm/messages

in there.  This forces asynchronous writes on the log file(s) you specify,
which helps a LOT with performance.  Where syslogd was typically taking up
5-9% of the cpu, it now runs at about 0.1-0.3%.  That's quite an
improvement, and since FreeLists can end up sending out a peak of about
30,000 emails a day (rough estimate there), that little bit helps a great
deal.

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA
# UNIX Systems Engineer, Ivy Tech State College

Administrative contact: weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx