[Linux-Discussion] Re: RPM Help

  • From: Curt Binder <binder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:34:44 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Dennis B. Hopp wrote:
> Is there a way to make kpackage automatically get the dependencies or can I
> do this with the command line rpm (I didn't see how to do it in the --help)

Mandrake has what they call 'Cooker' ( I believe ).  That allows you to
get all the dependencies for the rpms.

Aside from that, I don't really know how to do it.  IMHO that is a big
draw-back of those RPM's.  Besides, it doesn't take much to 'break a
dependency' in an RPM :)

Have you considered switching to Slackware??  There packages ( tarballs )
have what programs are needed listed when you download them.

OR instead of switching distros, you could always download the source and
read what programs are required and then compile it yourself.
( this is the most fun =) )

Curt