[Linux-Discussion] Re: Perl DVD decoder

  • From: Nils Vogels <nivo+linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 20:05:01 +0100

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 08:42:57AM -0500, John Madden wrote:

> This was on Slashdot this morning - I feel it's worthy of a repost (the
> archive will make a nice mirror ;)).  It's a perl script that does DVD
> decoding, and it's something the movie industry feels we shouldn't have--
> that makes it even better. :)

The original file can be found on:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/qrpff-fast.pl

I wonder if the movie companies will sue the creators as well.. It's going to
be hard tho, since it is a perl script, and perl is GPL..

I wonder.. if they would just put GPL copyright on their script, would that
protect them enough ?

Grtz,

--
Nils Vogels             PGP:0xC26BD15F Available on keyservers.
S@H:1075WU/1.46yr       --> setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu. Will you find aliens?

Why did it happen ? BOFH Excuse:
    electro-magnetic pulses from French above ground nuke testing.