[Linux-Discussion] Re: Opera 5

  • From: Matteo Ianeselli <ianezz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 22:01:52 +0200

Pare che John Madden, in un momento di ispirazione, abbia scritto:

 > Opera 5 for linux is out, in case anyone didn't notice.  I'm running it now,
 > and aside from uglifying linuxtoday.com, it's quite decent, and I'm
 > considering
 > ditching netscrape for it...

The last beta for Linux of 5.x I tried (a week ago) didn't
support transparent .png [1], and had some issues with CSS [2]

This isn't really going to affect web surfers, but since Opera 5 is
introducing itself also as an ideal tool to make presentations (the F9
key!), this is something I'd expected to see working... Now I'm going
to repeat my tests with this release.

Other than that, it is a really fine browser, and a clever work
considering the size of the executable, its memory footprint and its
rendering speed.

Let's hope it doesn't become obsolete in a couple of years (Mozilla
project had to aim high because otherwise the browser would have been
obsolete even before reaching version 1.0 - as of now Mozilla may
appear as a victim of creeping featurism, but it is really going to be
the perfect client for the distributed applications of tomorrow [3]).

---

[1] Transparent png are really nice: they have a full alpha channel
    instead of the simple mask used by .gif (totally opaque/totally
    transparent), and makes it possible to have really nice
    antialiased graphics regardless of the background color/image.

[2] I did some experiments, and I found that CSS boxes weren't placed
    at all when defining their coordinates starting from the
    bottom-right corner, overflow management is missing, and no
    support for window-relative positioning of boxes (instead of
    page-relative). Perhaps I did something wrong, but OTOH I was just
    following the W3C documentation and Mozilla behaved exactly as
    expected...

[3] No, not the "Write your letters using our servers for a monthly
    fee!"  but more like "let your techs monitor and manage your
    network just by pointing their browser to the application server
    in the basement, and don't ever worry again about the
    OS/configuration/whatever of client machines". X apps are good at
    that, but displaying data in an effective manner is definitively
    easier using HTML and stylesheets.

--
UNIX diapers by Pannolini USPTO 2039887  http://www.uspto.gov
Matteo Ianeselli      ianezz AT sodalia.it  (+39) 0461 316452