[Linux-Discussion] Re: Not So Fast

  • From: Curt Binder <binder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 00:15:28 -0500

On Thursday 20 February 2003 11:50 pm, S.Natanam wrote:
> I am having a Linux box which runs DHCP servers in another place. But In My
> place I want to run DHCP program. The two linux boxes are in the same
> intranet. They have told me not run two DHCP servers in the same place as
> there may be confict in the IP addresses. So I want to run the DHCP server
> based on the Hardware Address of the Ethernet card which is unique for
> every system. Is there is any way of doing this.

If you want to assign IP's with DHCP via hardware addresses, that can be done.
I know you can tell the DHCP server to give out a specific IP for each
hardware address.  That can be done by using the
hardware ethernet & fixed-address options.

Another problem you will run into with running 2 DHCP servers on the same
network is which DHCP server will serve the request to the computer.
You are almost asking for more trouble by doing that.

Why do you need 2 DHCP servers on the same network?  Why can't you just use 1
DHCP server?

--

# Curt Binder <binder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
# ICQ: 3132781  AOL: cbinder69