[Linux-Discussion] Re: Multiple IP's one NIC

  • From: "Lowe, Scott" <SLOWE@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:34:07 -0500

She mentioned "NetBIOS over TCP/IP disabled" which is generally implemented
on Windows systems that connect to the Internet to protect them against some
pretty nasty attacks since leaving this open is pretty much like going to
the local jail, handing everyone a key to your house and your address and
letting them know when you won't be home.  You may have read this as
choosing NetBIOS rather than TCP/IP and disabling TCP/IP which is not the
case.  In short, she wants to use TCP/IP, but also wants to protect it from
outside attack by choosing this option.

But, if she had meant disabling IP and using NetBIOS, I too would be rather
amused.

Scott