[Linux-Discussion] Info

  • From: bobbya <bobbya@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 12:22:47 -0700

I finally solved the problem. My personal accout had a uid of 501 and a gid
of 501. Well, postgres had a group id of 501 too, and this conflicted with
my personal gid. I also have 3 other personal accounts that I wanted to use
without su ing to them each time I wanted to make changes. Here is what I
did to solve the problem:

1.) I created an "adminprog" group
2.) I chgrp(this I did as root) all  3 accounts that had as their group
"postgres" as well as the files to "adminprog"
2.) I removed the postgres account because I was not using it, I don't run
mysql, maybe later
3.) I chmod 761 all accounts and files that were in the new "adminprog"
group.

Why 761? Because those directories need to be accessed by the web server. I
chmod 704 all html files though.

Now I can access those accounts and files without having to su to anything.

I deleted the postgres account and the mysql daemon by deleting the
symbolic links in the rc directories first, then lastly I userdel
the account.

It was all written down in advance and carefully though about. I have a log
book that I log this stuff in, that way I can back track
any potential mistakes.

Thanks everyone for all your positive and encouraging feedback,
Robert A.