[Linux-Discussion] Re: Hey John...

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:22:42 -0500

> > If so, can you give me an idea of what you think of it, and if not,
> > could you have a look and tell me what you think of it at first
> > glance?
>
> Honestly, I think that if you're going to roll your own router/firewall,
> go with a full Linux dist instead of these one-disk rigs.  I honestly
> don't think they're worth the effort.

I agree here - sorta.  I think if you're going to build a do-it-at-home
router, Linux is probably the optimal choice, but I think the stuff like
the Linux Router Project is a good idea.  I don't want to go through a
distribution install, configuration, kernel configuration, firewall/router
setup, etc., when I can just download a floppy image, boot the machine,
and tell it what I want routed where.

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA
# Linux, Apache, Perl and C: All the best things in life are free!

Administrative contact: weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx