[Linux-Discussion] Re: Desktop and kde etcetera

  • From: "R.A." <bobbya@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:49:39 -0800

Here is what I did.
I did a TEST. How simple.

Anyway, I created "Desktop" in the "/etc/skel" directory, as root. Then
I put only ONE thing
in that directory, a symbolic link to the executeable that all users
want access to. That is the only thing I put in the newly created
"/etc/skel/Desktop" directory.

I then created a new user, "testuser", /sbin/useradd -m testuser. Then I
logged in as that user. As that user, I typed "startx".
It worked, the new user had the symbolic link on his desktop.

I'm going to see how it goes, but I'd still like to find out if there is
a default "Desktop" somewhere, one that gets copied after someone first
types "startx", kde does it.

thanks!
Robert