[Linux-Discussion] Re: DHCP Server Detection

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:50:29 -0500

> The MS folks have their own physical segment and use their own private
> IP address range. That is why I built them a simple firewall/nat box.
> The box let's them have outside connectivity with their private
> addresses and also keeps their their M$ DHCP server from answering
> requests coming from our network.

Ah, gotcha.  Makes sense.

> Cool. This gives me something to start off with. I'm getting a little
> handle on shell scripting, but since I'm still relatively new to much of
> this, I'll have to figure out the perl side of things. I appriciate the
> help. If you think of anything else please let me know.

Actually, you might look at the Samba 3.0 beta stuff -- 3.0 supposedly does
active directory, so there might be some way of working with dhcpd control
from that angle.  Who knows, with the unfortunate role that AD will soon
be playing at Ivy Tech, getting Samba in asap may help stem the M$ virus.

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA
# Linux, Apache, Perl and C: All the best things in life are free!