[Linux-Discussion] Re: Beginner's Guide to Linux Apps

  • From: Nils Vogels <nivo+linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:28:17 +0200

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 01:29:00AM -0500, John Madden wrote:

[ apps on linux? ]

> I'm pretty sure the only reason Linux doesn't "scale" as well as Solaris
> is due to the fact that Linux isn't available on UltraSparc yet (right?),
> and certainly doesn't support things like hot-swappable CPU's and RAM, as
> Solaris does.  Solaris is no more stable, and aside from the [*much*]
> better hardware, is no faster than Linux.

Try looking for UltraPenguin.. Linux has been running on a sparc as of at
least kernel 2.0.16 (thats when I tried it out)

> Got an NT box doing a lot of work somewhere that you can "afford" to try
> out Linux on?  I doubt you'll ever look back once you've seen domain
> controlling and file/printer sharing under Samba versus NT.

Right .. it's easier and more straightforward .. its kind of a shame that
adding computers to the domain is so much manual work tho..

--
Nils Vogels             PGP:0xC26BD15F Available on keyservers.
S@H:1201WU/1.69yr       --> setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu. Will you find aliens?

Why did it happen ? BOFH Excuse:
  It's those computer people in X {city of world}. They keep stuffing
                              things up.