[Linux-Discussion] Re: BIND and DSL

  • From: Nils Vogels <nivo+linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 01:32:17 +0200

On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 01:07:02PM +0000, James Gosnell wrote:
> Since I can't give an ip address(they require it to be a actual domain
> name), I'm just using the doman name Ameritech gave me. You know, the
> 12-34-56-67.chicagodsl.ameritech.net or whatever. I have to tell Dotster
> the domain name for my first and second DNS servers. But since I only
> have one, and the name servers don't have the names I will be using, I
> think that might be causing the problems. If that's the case, then I'm
> going to have to go with 2 ip addresses probably, which is more money,
> and something I don't want to do.

Hmm, curious .. I have setup my nameservers, whilst my cable provider holds
the reverse for that IP address, and it worked.

Joker asked me for a hostname and an IP, and since the hostname did not exist
yet (it was ns1.domain-i-wanted-to-register.tld) they specifically asked me if
they wanted me to insert a record for it in the .com zone (or something, its
been a while) ..

I wonder why your registrar doesnt allow it.

--
Nils Vogels             PGP:0xC26BD15F Available on keyservers.
S@H:5245WU/7.104yr      --> setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu. Will you find aliens?

My other computer is your windows box.