[lifesaviors] Re: [indianenvironmentonline] Poisonous Drinks

  • From: <lionkuntz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: indianenvironmentonline@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,lifesaviors@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 21:31:29 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Selvaraj

You make convincing arguments for some of your
opinions. I think in Assam and Bangladesh however,
underground cities are not very feasible.

Cities and villages above the floods, which come every
two years now, are more to their liking.
http://www.ecosyn.us/ecocity/Challenges/Asia_Floods/Wet/All_Wet.html

--- sraj <sraj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Lion,

[snip, for sake of brevity]

> Let us put the facts together.
>
> 1. While the greenery that you have shown makes the
> place look scenic, most
> people in their 9 to 5 hurry, are scarcely likely to
> notice it.

It is not meant to be noticed. It is meant to provide
oxygen, to absorb CO2, to muffle city sounds, and to
chop up the sightlines into nearby chunks easier for a
person to focus on where they are.

> 2. Even when people have spare time they are likely
> to spend it in front of
> the TV.

I don't have a TV, and don't want one (I can afford
TVs). But I have no problem with people watching TVs.
They can watch TV as easily in a Palace as in a hovel.

> 3. Most people don't like fresh  air these days.
> They prefer to have AC in
> their car and in their houses - even when the
> outside air is balmy and one
> would think AC is not required. Another reason why
> people have AC is, it
> prevents sweating (in a relatively warm country like
> India), and it helps
> exclude dust of any kind. Well-to-do people are
> highly allergic to dust
> these days.

Children growing up in nature-deprived conditions are
showing more allergies than ever before. Unfortuately,
Palace technologies cannot afford the high power drain
of Air Conditioning. The cool waters in the deep
basement cistern moved through an inner-wall
inner-floor piping system can bring the environment
down to a comfortable level. It is hardly necessary to
always let in the dust in these circumstances. Trees,
and the moisture they exhale, also help settle the
dust. Paved roads and a great reduction in traffic
when most everything you might want is close at hand,
also keeps from raising the dust.

> 4. The children are in no better state. Gone are the
> days when they could
> grow up naturally with play and laughter and enjoy
> the beauty of nature. In
> our country it is a regular grind between classes
> and extra tuition. And
> yes, when they have spare time, they too watch TV.
>
> Conclusion: While the birds and the bees are
> perfectly at home in a natural
> environment, humans are no longer at home in it!
>
> This being the case don't you think that cities of
> the future can be
> designed to be below the ground, while the top
> surface can be left free for
> agriculture, other human activities for which a
> natural environment is
> desirable, and mostly for the natural flora  and
> fauna. The surface of the
> earth is simply too precious, to be wasted by a
> species, who have ceased to
> enjoy its wonders.
>
> Regards and best wishes.
> Selvaraj.

Thank you for your letter. I am sure that you are not
"pulling my leg" (or making humor about this), but
seriously want to improve my proposal with your fine
comments.

Since humans have become so well adapted at watching
TV, perhaps they won't mind doing it in Palaces, and
thereby concentrate the area they consume and leave
more for birds, bees, bengal tigers and one-horned
rhinos.

Just as an exercise, not intending it to be a serious
idea, I did a calculation of the world's largest city
built on the principles of Palaces For The People. The
figure I came up with was a city of 121 miles by 121
miles square to house the ENTIRE population of China.
All 1,300,000,000 chinese could live in one city of
that size and no home would ever be more than two
blocks away from a one hectare-sized park. (Not that
the Chinese use parks any more than Indians or
Americans -- they too are sitting in front of TV
watching 30-year-old reruns of "I Love Lucy").

I am not too informed on Indian geography: could you
give me an idea how many super-mega-cities of 121 x
121 sq. miles could fit inside of India? Maybe, if
there is enough room, all the chinese could come live
in India, and make more room for giant pandas? After
all, if your life revolves around small circles of
work/school, shop, home, and mostly watching TV, what
difference does it make where that home is. If India
has enough room for SIX of these super-mega-cities we
could all come, and make room for the buffalo and the
eagle, and all watch pandas, rhinos and tigers on
nature shows on TV.

Sincerely, Lion Kuntz

This proposal was submitted for discussion at the 5th
International Ecocity Conference, Post-Conference
Internet Forum, Feb-June 2003. Proceedings are
published here:
http://www.ias.unu.edu/proceedings/icibs/ecocity03/proc.html
http://www.ias.unu.edu/proceedings/icibs/ecocity03/SPD-topic.htm#29
http://www.ecosyn.us/ecocity/Proposal/Palaces_For_The_People.html