[lifesaviors] Questions for the "Orissa Budget", #1

  • From: <lionkuntz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lifesaviors@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 17:47:55 -0700 (PDT)

The following letter has been submitted to over 1,000
Indian particpants on four internet discussion groups.
 I hope thereby to obtain more information for
projecting a more accurate budget for Palaces in
Orissa, India, one of the poorest places on earth.

Questions for the "Orissa Budget", #1

The Proposal: "Palaces For The People" has been
criticised as only suitable for the wealthier segments
of societies around the world. Therefore I have
embarked on a project to compare the construction and
occupany costs of Palaces to housing in the most
difficult situations.

I have started a project of showing a budget of
building Palaces housing for Orissa, India, based on
the internet published document surrounding the
rebuilding relief projects after the Super-Cyclone
event of 1999 in Orissa, India.

The Orissa Super-Cyclone would be classified as a
force five hurricane of exceptional weather violence
if it hit the USA. It appears to be the worst weather
disaster in the records of India, and would have been
the worst in the history of the US if it had landed
anywhere on the shores of this country.

Palaces are designed to withstand this much power, and
also earthquakes of the magnitudes which are
experienced in the occupied portion of the planet.
Tidal waves on coastal areas provoked by subsea
earthquakes can project coastal walls of water up to
60 meters tall, and no constructions made by man can
survive such power. The storm surge and high tide of
the Orissa cyclone were under the magnitude which
Palaces can be designed to survive, protectin the
lives and property contained therein.

In order to make progress in this this "Orissa Budget"
I need the help of persons on the ground in India, who
can report back facts which are more difficult to
locate through internet searching. I do not need one
person who has all th answers, but instead, I need a
number of persons each who can answer one of my
questions. Different prices in different locations is
valuable information, so please provide answers even
if someone else did first.

Items needed to be known: rates of consumption of
cooking fuels, and costs per unit of cooking fuels:
how many dollars/rupees per liter of kerosine? What
numbers are using anaerobic digestion for cooking gas,
and what rate of production is needed per family
average?

What is the cost of community well bore and hardware?
What is the range of distances from house to well?

What is the costs of portland cement? What are costs
for fired bricks? What costs for hydroform
flyash-sawdust compressed earth blocks? What price for
hand-pressed earth blocks? What size of bricks/blocks,
or how many of them are needed to build one square
meter of wall?

Other obvious points of data will come to mind by
reviewing the first in a series on the "Orissa
Budget".

Rather than enclosing a length document, or several
documents, I provide links to where the documents may
be found for reading.

Subject:  The ORISSA Budget -- Part #1

Subject:  The Orissa, India, case study budgeting
Palaces
ORISSA weblog #1

Subject:  ORISSA weblog #2 -- Data for the Orissa
budget
ORISSA weblog #2

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance in
helping me obtain this information.

Results should be posted on the Palaces For The People
discussion group for anyone to read.

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com