[lifesaviors] Patenting an Ecocity

  • From: "Lion Kuntz" <lionkuntz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Art Krenzel" <phoenix98604@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 23:57:03 -0800

Hi Art,

It's been a week since you told me to hang in there, and ten days since I
wrote the "GEV team" using the email addresses from the GEV website.
Nothing.Zip, Zilch, Nada.

[To: globalecovillage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, cshimko01@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
philhawes@xxxxxxxxxxxx, phoenix98604@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bzabelhome@xxxxxxx,
leigh@xxxxxxxxxxxx, tarenx@xxxxxxxxxxx[1]]

You are the only one who wrote back, and you do not consider yourself
"involved" other than as part-time science adviser.

I spent a very enjoyable weekend in the online patent library. Among other
things I found out that noboody has locked up all my best ideas yet, so I am
clear to put them into effect without paying royalties to somebody else. I
discovered a wealth of new inventions which I find really attractive,
especially the one for making bricks using a concrete made 100% out of
unsorted mixed recycled glass. (Glass cement and glass aggregate from the
same process). These glass bricks have greater compression strength than
conventional portland-cement concrete, and make a high-gloss artificial
stonefinish which has attributes of marble and agate.

Most importantly, I found that nobody has ever patented a city before, nor
method for constructing one. I want to be the first guy to ever patent a
unique form of city, one with no municipal water works, sewer treatment, or
power utility, which builds dwellings and business structures to continue in
useful service for 100 years or greater.

I had some private correspondance with Uwe (one of the Palaces Working Group
members) and ran some figures. Using my new construction methods I found
thata ground floor perimeter loadbearing wall, concrete posts and bricks, (1
hectare square, or 100 meters per side) can be formed using 22 bags of
portland cement to uphold 22,000 tons of deadload. The per-unit pro-rata
share of the costs of cement for building the ground floor perimeter wall
would come to $36 per condo unit. Of course the greater expense is in the
floor and roof slabs (if poured with conventional portland-cement-based
concrete), but a housing unit of exceptional high quality can be constructed
for $5,000 materials, and owner-provided labor. These are USA prices. The
Chinese can do it for a quarter that, and in India for a fifth the USA
price.

My next move is sell "Habitat for Humanity" on building at least one Palace.
They have operations on five continents, frequently build projects for
hundreds of dwelling units at a time, have existing financing and public
good-will, and a serious need to stretch their budgets. They also depend on
buyer-labor participation in building their units, so a system which uses
mainly  untrained, unskilled workers would benefit them a lot. Besides, I
always wanted to meet Jimmy Carter.

One thought occurred to me the other day: I know how to build an entire city
of high quality buildings which does not use a single stick of wood anywhere
in the construcion process. That's sort of "novel" wouldn't you say?

Did you come up with any guesses why the "Seahorse water purifier" is shaped
just the way it is shaped, and how it works with virtually no moving parts
and only tiny bits of input energy? I am hoping that people's guesses are
even better than my method, and it ultimately improves the system. I want to
collect guesses for a while, until my patent application is filed, before
publishing in public forums the answer I came to.

Is it just me, or are those New Oroville domes the ugliest domes you ever
saw?

Sincerely, Lion Kuntz --

Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at Mail.com[2]

CareerBuilder.com[3] has over 400,000 jobs. Be smarter about your job search

--- Links ---
   1 mailto:tarenx@xxxxxxxxxxx
   2 http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup
   3 http://corp.mail.com/careers