[lifesaviors] Re: [Palaces4People] Re: Shared walls and floors

  • From: "Lion Kuntz" <lionkuntz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Palaces4People@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Palaces4Japan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:45:39 -0800

As always, thanks for your comments. Since I could anticipate that the
vulnerable areas I pointed out myself (floors and roofs) would be question
areas I immediately followed that posting by beginning illustrating the
flooring and roofing structural components. I have the makings of a nice new
page coming along.

The numbers which come out of the calculator astonish ME!!!

Until I processed the numbers I had no idea that you could fit 3 to 6 houses
out on the huge patios, or fit 4 to 8 of them inside the condo/apartments. I
knew there were synergetic savings in walls, but not that you could enclose a
palace with the same amount of walling used in 118 of those cottages, and have
enough wall materials left over to build 38 more cottages. Who knew, eh???

Until I searched over webpage after webpage and gleaned the data on actual
Orissa house sizes, who knew that 118 families lived under 2,950 sq.meters of
roof? Obviously Palaces with 10,000 sq.meters of roof (one standard hectare,
2.54 acres) have 3.4 times as much rooftops to pay for, but that one-hectare of
roof covers 3.2 hectares of of inside space. Who knew you could get 10 times
the indoors for 3.4 times the roofing costs, eh???

http://www.ecosyn.us/Ecovillage/Orissa_Budget/Orissa_Budget_01a.html

I take it that your message was written before you received my Orissa Budget
Part 1 website announcement and other backup data pages. I have just gotten to
the point that I understand the nuances of the image-mapping where I can paint
a picture of a brick wall onto a plain flat polygon, without having to actually
model the thousands of individual bricks like I was doing before.

The ability to portray multiple facades will make future models look more
homey, more livable, more comfy. The software I use is a freeware discontinued
orphan product which comes with no support and not always clear help files.

The new project is to model the octet truss framework which holds everything
together and everything up. Since Octet Trusses have running voids through
their cores, piping and electrical conduit can be mounted in a workshop before
the trusses are brought to the jobsite. After erection and joining of the
trusses and their internal infrastructure, a cementitious plaster will seal the
trusses and their hidden loads. With three separate plumbing systems running
through the building, I am thinking of adding a fourth system as a
"radient-style" heating-cooling system. This too flows through the subflooring
Octet Trusses.

The multiple needs for waterproofing all floors so that any plumbing leak is
contained in the place it happens and does not ruinate everything below on
several floors is not a problem in glod-plated neighborhoods, but stands as an
"unsolved mystery" how to do it on an Orissan Budget.

A top surface coat of ceramic tiles for waterproofing floors, both indoors and
outdoors on the patio terraced roof-decks is a good universal solution. Ceramic
tiles are probably what they use in the shower room of your gym or health club,
right? Maybe you have a tile bathroom?

Exactly what is under the tiles is still an issue, between the octet trusses
and their stonelike shell, and the tiles, materials are asked to do sometimes
conflicting things: be soundproof, be waterproof, be economical, be impervious
from secret rots. Cellular cement has good soundproofing, good waterproofing,
is economical in using imported materials, loadbearing, good thermal
insulation. (Good thermal insulation -- Drats, that means ungood for radient
heat-cooling system. Bummer, dude.)

This is the group problem-solving process we are all herein assembled
attempting to move forward, right?

... Lion Kuntz
NEW webpage:
http://www.ecosyn.us/Ecovillage/Orissa_Budget/Orissa_Budget_01a.html