[lifesaviors] Fw: Karala India Housing costs (comparison reference data)

  • From: "Lion Kuntz" <lionkuntz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Palaces4People@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:00:32 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Dr.K.V.Sankaran
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 13:17:52 +0530
To: "Lion Kuntz"
Subject: Housing costs

Hi,

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Thanks for the
informationon water hyacinth. We are looking forward for any collaboration
(and funding) to work on industrial potentials of water hyacinth in Kerala,
like furniture making, preparation of compost etc. Any suggestions?

As regards your query on housing costs in Kerala; here is some information

The minimum size of a house in Kerala (for the underprivileged) is around
500sq ft (which include a small drawing room, kitchen, one bed room plus
toilet). This would cost around US$ 3000. The uppermost  (owner built) can
be3500-4000 sq ft which would cost anywhere between US$ 60,000-65,000.  The
average man ( say a government servant who holds a mediocre position) would
go for 1200-2000 sq ft  area house (drawing room, two bed rooms with bath
attached, kitchen and work area) This would cost around US$ 10000-18000.
(calculated on the basis1 US $= approx Rs. 50). As you would know, Kerala is
better economically compared to most States in India.

Portland cement is available in plentiful in Kerala. The cost is Rs. 175 for
a packet of 50 kg.

I hope, this helps. Please feel free to contact me if you require more
information.

Regards

Sankaran

Kerala Forest Research Institute, Trichur, India

Sign-up for your own personalized E-mail at Mail.com[1]

CareerBuilder.com[2] has over 400,000 jobs. Be smarter about your job search

--- Links ---
   1 http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup
   2 http://corp.mail.com/careers