[lifesaviors] Feedback <Scott> detailed response PART 1 of 4

  • From: <lionkuntz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Palaces4People@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, lifesaviors@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:22:41 -0700 (PDT)

Since yahoo mail and yahoogroups mail unexpectedly
truncates long messages, this reply to Scott's points
is presented in parts:

PART 1 of 4

--- Scott Van Kirk <scott@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Lion,
>
> You have asked for input on your webpages and your
> presentations.  Here
> they are.  Put on your thick skin.  This really is
> intended as constructive
> criticism.
>
> Firstly, a lot of your information and ideas are
> interesting and well
> thought out.  They are poorly presented.
>
> Presentation issues:
>

> Going through your pages a couple of things strike
> me about the pages
> themselves.  First the organization is not friendly
> to someone who wants to
> browse through your pages or find answers to
> specific questions.

As you can see, nobody ever asks specific questions,
so I do not have a way to anticipate FREQUENTLY ASKED
QUESTIONS with a FAQ provided. Browsing is just like
the internet. You see a link, you click, you go there.
For many pages they open in a new window, so you do
not lose where you were. I don't know how to make them
friendlier than that.

> I would
> recommend spending some time building a
> comprehensive overall structure to
> your site and then indexing it with something like a
> table of contents.

I put samples out for the public to view. If the
public hates it than I am wasting my time finishing
it. Until the site is "finished" it is impossible to
index it all or table of contents it. If some members
of the public want to be involved in moving the
overall concept further, they can take over polishing
up the website. No volunteers offering to help so far.

> Also, I would refrain from throwing in millions of
> pictures which are only
> peripherally linked to the text.  They slow loading
> time way down and do
> not really help the message.

My original proposal was presented to an international
scientific forum which had much mangling of the
english language. The illustrations are for them, as a
picture is worth more than 1,000 words when the
audience hardly understands a few dozen of your words.
http://www.ias.unu.edu/proceedings/icibs/ecocity03/proc.html
http://www.ias.unu.edu/proceedings/icibs/ecocity03/SPD-log1.htm
http://www.ias.unu.edu/proceedings/icibs/ecocity03/SPD-topic.htm#29

> I would also get rid
> of the thousand links
> you have at the bottom of each page.

Tst, Tsk. Links on the bottom of the page are totally
out of your way, and no bother to anyone not looking
for something to complain about.
These links are on the bottom of every page of
yahoomail: Mail -  Address Book - Calendar - Notepad
Address Book · Auctions · Autos · Briefcase · Calendar
· Chat · Classifieds · Finance · Games · Geocities ·
Greetings · Groups · Health · Horoscopes · HotJobs ·
Kids · Mail · Maps · Member Directory · Messenger ·
Mobile · Movies · Music · My Yahoo! · News · PayDirect
· Personals · Pets · Photos · Platinum · Shopping ·
Sports · TV · Travel · Weather · Yellow Pages ·
more...

... So in summation, is it fair to say that you liked
it, you really really liked it?

Sincerely, Lion Kuntz
Santa Rosa, California, USA.

PS: google reports: Searched the web for "Palaces for
the People".   Results 1 - 100 of about 365. Search
took 0.75 seconds
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&newwindow=1&q=%22Palaces+For+the+People%22
... this is up from 232 when I started this
educational campaign two weeks ago. So at least some
part of the program is working. Ain't intelligence
grand? Wonder what the numbers will be tomorrow?

http://www.ecosyn.us/ecocity/Challenges/Asia_Floods/Wet/All_Wet.html
http://www.ecosyn.us/ecocity/Challenges/Asia_Floods/Asia_Floods.html

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com