[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: liblouisxml and mathml

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 11:47:36 +0000

I have a few thoughts, possibly influenced from some of the python stuff.:

* Could we have description as another option? I don't know how liblouisxml reads the configuration files but in python if using the ConfigParser module then a programme would not be affected by extra options not originally thought about, it would just ignore the extra options (if liblouisxml works this way then it would be able to accept a description option as it stands). * May be a comment done in a certain way at the beginning of the file then only the start of the file needs to be read. I would imagine you may want something to determine that it is actually a description comment so that for files with no description then the app won't show the sort of comments existing at the top of the configuration files which do not help understand what that file is for. I will admit I haven't looked back at the discussion about liblouis tables, I do intend to. I am thinking as an example the comment for a description may start #* instead of just #.

Michael Whapples
On 08/11/09 03:48, John J. Boyer wrote:
Selecting configuration files is similar to the problem of selecting
liblouis tables that Christikn discussed a couple of days ago. The files
could begin with a descriptive comment and the application could just
display these in a radio-button list. We'll be working on tables and can
consider configuration files also.

John

On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 10:51:46PM +0000, Michael Whapples wrote:
Thanks will look at that.

As for selecting the configuration files, couple of questions:
* Is there any way for a programme to find out the lbx_files directory?
* While the three cfg files have reasonably easy to understand file
names at the moment, I was just wondering whether there was a way to get
a more readable configuration name or may be even a description? I do
doubt this as the contents of the file don't hold this information. Its
just I would have liked it that a application could present to the user
a list like:
"UK maths Braille output with capitals for A4 paper"
"UK maths Braille output without capitals for A4 paper"
"Nemeth Braille output for A4 paper"

I know that the above may not represent the current options with
liblouisxml but as people develop more configurations, tables, etc such
a list could start forming and filenames may not be enough to keep it
easy for the user.

Michael Whapples
On 07/11/09 21:39, John J. Boyer wrote:
Liblouisxml will handle bare equations in MathML. This is already done
by an application from ViewPlus. Use the function lbx_translateString
which is described in the documentation. The configuration file
specifies which braille math code to use. The lbx_files directory
contains various configuration files, such as nemeth.cfg ukmaths.cfg
marburg.cfg I think all the user would have to do is pick the math code.

John

On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 07:17:35PM +0000, Michael Whapples wrote:

Hello,
I know that liblouisxml can handle MathML but I would like to know a
little about what it can do. I am looking into using liblouisxml
possibly to add some sort of math Braille access in screen readers
(either NVDA or orca, to be decided as I don't know how well they can
communicate with firefox).

If I hand liblouisxml (from a programme) some MathML, but it is only the
equation will liblouisxml be able to handle this? I have noticed that
when sending a full document to liblouisxml it lays it out as if it will
be embossed, my use is for a Braille display, will it do this for the
example of just sending an equation?

Some separate stuff: How can I get my programme to know what the various
configurations will do so it could present the user with a list of
options, or will I have to manually map these to easy to understand names?

I am sure I have some other comments on liblouisxml and mathml, but
those are slightly different and so I will deal with them in another
message.

Michael Whapples