[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: [liblouis/liblouis] ae1e53: en-us-g1.ctb and en-ueb.g1.ctb are now able to dis...

  • From: Mesar Hameed <mesar.hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 10:49:40 +0100

Hi,

On Fri 08/08/14,10:19, Michael Whapples wrote:
> A question worth asking is that these tables are primarily a 6-dot table, so
> is it correct to add the 8-dot patterns?

We could add just the 6 dot patterns, but this leaves anything with dots
7 and 8 written out as \x28zz which is not ideal.

My feeling is that if we are given unicode braille, then this
should be passed through where possible.

I guess the real question is how should we handle the following sinario,
and do we always want to resolve it in the same way:

A file in the style of the UEB formal standards document,
where the text is written in grade 1 or 2, but indespersed we also need to
quote braille exactly as given, this might include 8 dot braille.

> In document translation tools (eg. liblouisutdml, BrailleBlaster, etc) where
> the height of the Braille line needs to be honoured, this means that 8-dot
> cells could be inserted where 6-dot cells are only expected. This could lead
> to lines clashing.

Is there any mechanism to indicate to the hardware that the line spacing is
changing for the following line?
I guess something like that happens when including graphics?

> Alternatively, should there be another mode option for the translation
> functions to request/guarantee only 6-dot cells?

I don't feel adding another flag is the best way.
Maybe we just need a dis file that is included for g1 tables, that
simply drops dots 7 and 8.

thanks,
Mesar