[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: generate unicode characters

  • From: Bert Frees <bert.frees@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:05:16 +0100

Actualy what I am trying to do is quite unusual (so I wouldn't mention my case it the doc), but I can imagine the feature could be useful for other purposes as well.

I want to produce braille in PEF-format. Because this is not (yet?) a feature of liblouisxml itself, I'm converting the plain text output of xml2brl into a PEF-xml file with java. Therefore I needed a special symbol denoting the end of a volume (similar to \n\r for lineEnd and \f for pageEnd). The semantic action and table entry would look something like this:

generic volume \*@9abcdef
sign \x1234 9abcdef

My first choise for the 'volumeEnd' character was a unicode control character: 001C (file separator). But apparently this doesn't work, so I chose a character between 0020 and FFFF.

It maybe a good idea to include support for PEF in liblouisxml.

On 22/02/2010 11:35, Christian Egli wrote:
Hi Bert

Bert Frees<bert.frees@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  writes:
But I found a workaround for this problem. You can use a virtual dot
pattern and assign any unicode character to this virtual dot pattern,
like:

generic td @9abcdef

and in your translation table:

sign \x1234 9abcdef
Maybe we should mention this in the documentation somewhere. Can you say
what your use case is?