[liblouis-liblouisxml] [easjolly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx: Chemistry Arrows]

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:45:41 -0500

Susan,

I have availed myself of your permission to post this on the list. There
are Nemeth braille transcribers there who can aniwer this question much
better than I can. I'm glad to
finally be able to concentrate on programming.

John

----- Forwarded message from Susan Jolly <easjolly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> -----

Subject: Chemistry Arrows
From: Susan Jolly <easjolly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 16:23:21 -0600
To: "'John J. Boyer'" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi John,

I was reading the latest on the liblouis list today and, speaking as a
chemist, I wonder if it is possible to introduce some common sense into the
braille representation of chemistry arrows.  (Please feel free to post
this.)

These arrows are simple compact symbols in print and it seems confusing for
them to be so complex in braille.

Let me focus on the equilibrium arrow in particular. When I first studied
chemistry, we just used an equals mark rather than an equilibrium arrow.
I've also seen a double-headed arrow used to show chemical equilibrium.
Also a right-pointing arrow written vertically above a left-pointing arrow.

In the last case, where the arrows are physically one above the other in
print, it's a bit simpler to omit the lower arrowhead on the top arrow and
upper arrowhead on the bottom arrow just so the symbol is more compact.
However, this is purely for visual appearance. There is no special chemical
meaning to using the harpoon rather than a full arrowhead.

I would suggest that to make a chemistry text readable, the $[77o spear be
used for the equilibrium arrow in chemistry.  This most resembles the print
symbol.

Susan

----- End forwarded message -----

--
John J. boyer; President, Chief Software Developer
JJB Software, Inc.