[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: build.xml and Ant

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 09:46:03 -0700

That does not seem to have any effect in this case. The app lauches and quits
for lack of a -XstartOnFirstThread

Commonwealth Braille & Talking Book Cooperative
Greg Kearney, General Manager
#320, 185-911 Yates Street
Victoria, BC V8V 4Y9
CANADA
Email: info@xxxxxxxxx

U.S. Address
21908 Almaden Av.
Cupertino, CA 95014
UNITED STATES
Email: gkearney@xxxxxxxxx

On Aug 18, 2015, at 9:39 AM, Michael Whapples (Redacted sender
"mwhapples@xxxxxxx" for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My reading of the page I linked to says that it would be something else.

So within the Java dictionary you would have this key value pair:
<key>VMOptions</key>
<string>-XstartOnFirstThread</string>

Michael Whapples

On 18/08/2015 17:31, Greg Kearney wrote:
That would be nice if it worked that way, adding

<key>JVMArguments</key>
<array>
<string>-XstartOnFirstThread</string>
</array>

has no effect. I can send you the application bundle I so made if you like.

#320, 185-911 Yates Street
Victoria, BC V8V 4Y9
CANADA
Email: info@xxxxxxxxx

U.S. Address
21908 Almaden Av.
Cupertino, CA 95014
UNITED STATES
Email: gkearney@xxxxxxxxx

On Aug 18, 2015, at 9:19 AM, Michael Whapples (Redacted sender
"mwhapples@xxxxxxx" for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

OK, the answer is quite simple, it was the first search result when I did a
web search:
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Java/Reference/Java_InfoplistRef/Articles/JavaDictionaryInfo.plistKeys.html

There is a Java key dictionary for the info.plist file. The example on that
page looks like it passes in a Java VM argument which is what we need.

Michael Whapples

On 18/08/2015 17:13, Greg Kearney wrote:
That is not possible on Mac due to the need to have the
-XstartOnFirstThread option set which must be done by the command line:
java -jar -XstartOnFirstThread *.jar if we could figure out a way to have
the XstartOnFirstThread start witout that then the JAR file would work
fine.

We would still however have other issues, such as distribution, opening
BRF files into it and so on.

#320, 185-911 Yates Street
Victoria, BC V8V 4Y9
CANADA
Email: info@xxxxxxxxx

U.S. Address
21908 Almaden Av.
Cupertino, CA 95014
UNITED STATES
Email: gkearney@xxxxxxxxx

On Aug 18, 2015, at 8:57 AM, Michael Gray <mgray@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Windows and the Linux distros I have tried so far, all of them can
just execute the jar directly.

MRG
mgray@xxxxxxx

#320, 185-911 Yates Street
Victoria, BC V8V 4Y9
CANADA
Email: info@xxxxxxxxx

U.S. Address
21908 Almaden Av.
Cupertino, CA 95014
UNITED STATES
Email: gkearney@xxxxxxxxx

On Aug 18, 2015, at 8:29 AM, Michael Whapples (Redacted sender
"mwhapples@xxxxxxx" for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It is worth noting that gradle could be used instead of ant, gradle can
use any ant task and so could be used to generate the app bundle.

An alternative, less Apple Mac way of doing this, is to use something
like launch4j which produces a shell script which searches for a
suitable JRE and launches the jar application with the appropriate
arguments. This though means a directory of files and launching a shell
script.

Eclipse RCP applications are similar, except I think the launcher is an
app bundle, but it relies on other files external to the app bundle as
well.

Windows is less of a problem as there is less of a standard of bundling
applications in a specific way, a directory of files with an executable
is more acceptable. I don't know how appstore apps on windows are
structured.

Michael Whapples

On 18/08/2015 16:11, Greg Kearney wrote:
Upon doing more research I have found that the stand alone MacOS
application will need to be built using ant and a file called build.xml
so it would be helpful if such a file that works to build the MacOS
application bundle be included.

Here is a link to the pages that expalin this.
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/jweb/packagingAppsForMac.html

The big issue that I see is how to get the XstartOnFirstThread working
as well.

#320, 185-911 Yates Street
Victoria, BC V8V 4Y9
CANADA