[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Using liblouis within an Android app.

  • From: Dave Mielke <dave@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 09:50:39 -0500

[quoted lines by Bert Frees on 2016/01/06 at 15:10 +0100]

Important is to distinguish between meta-data that can be used for discovery
(such as locale, grade, etc. -- you could call this "active" meta-data) and
meta-data that is simply there to be retreived (such as localisation data --
you
could call this "passive" meta-data).

Yes.

Currently we have a system for querying a table based on a list of expected
"features" and (active) meta-data in the table headers.

That may indeed be very useful to me. Where can I learn how to use it?

Localisation data could indeed also be put in the table headers, as you would
prefer, under the condition that it is marked as "passive" (so that it doesn't
confuse the query function). The only downside of this approach I can see is
that when the descriptions are localised in a lot of languages, the headers can
become quite big, and that the people who maintain a table are not necessarily
the same people that maintain the descriptions in other languages. But I guess
these are minor things.

That's exactly what gettext() et al solves. You just put the fallback
translation (usually English) in the code (or, in this case, in the table
itself). You then provide a set of message catalogs (one per language) that the
translators use. The way gettext() works, somewhat simplistically, is to use
the fallback translation string as the key of a hash table into the message
catalog.

By the way, Greg maintains an Excel sheet with the descriptions of some tables
(file name vs. English name vs. local name). I don't know how much of this is
verified by the table authors though.

Might be useful for me to use that to verify my current table descriptions. At
this point, I made them up based on looking at the start of each table and
making a few guesses. See res/values/translation_table_descriptions.xml for my
attempt. Where's his version?

--
Dave Mielke | 2213 Fox Crescent | The Bible is the very Word of God.
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario | http://Mielke.cc/bible/