[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Translating PDF to Braille

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 23:05:49 +0100

That sounds interesting. Couple of questions: Is there a website giving more details, describing plans, etc? I notice the last commit was a good few months back, what are the realistic chances of it going somewhere?

Michael Whapples
On 05/20/2010 06:42 PM, Fernando Herrera wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Michael Whapples<mwhapples@xxxxxxx>  wrote:

Now I have to be honest, although I am asking this I am not optimistic of a
great solution existing. How might one go about translating a PDF to
Braille?
I'm planning to work on it for the dots[1] braille translator. My idea
is to use poppler python bindings to extract the text from the pdf,
instead of using pdf2txt or pdf2html programs, so I would have more
control on the text layout.

Also we plan to benefit from the improvements to poppler_markup that
Lorenzo is working on[2]

[1]: http://git.gnome.org/browse/dots/
[2]: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evince-list/2010-April/msg00002.html