[liblouis-liblouisxml] Thoughts on recent posts

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 22:15:17 -0500

At present liblouis has no dependencies. I think it is best to keepit
that way. Dependencies might create difficulties for developers of
screenreaders. Therefore, I do not think that it is a good idea to use
gnulib to eliminate the #ifdef Win32 etc. blocks. This is standard C
pratice. It should not be replaced with something more complicated.

liblouisutdml has no dependencies except libxml2. Again, I think it is
best to keep it that way.

In terms of transcription speed the best way to do hyphenation is to
refine the hyphenation algorithm that is already in liblouisutdml. It
does hyphenation only when requestedd and necesary. Even this slows down
transcription noticeably. the outputPos array can be used in
lou_hyphenate, because only single words, stripped of punctuation, will
be considered. outputPos is very likely to be accurate in this case.

As noted in the plan which I posted a few days ago, highest priority
should be given to fixing bugs in important features. It would also be
good to know which of the items in the TODO list are considered
highest-priority by the liblouis community.

What are the criteria that must be met before making the next liblouis
release?